If it’s time to consider replacing your aging copier, you might not be sure if it’s best to stick with a copier, or up the functionality with a multifunction printer (MFP). Both the office copier and the MFP are standard in today’s office life, however, the terms used to describe each device are not interchangeable.
Both can produce output quickly, and both require toner, but that’s where the similarities end. In this post, we’re going to compare these two functional office devices to help you decide which is right for you!
- Functionality – A copier does a single thing make copies. A multifunction device can copy, print, scan, fax, and perform other tasks. An MFP commonly handles both color and B&W output. Depending on the device, both can have the capability to produce high-quality printed output.
- Speed – Copiers typically print faster than MFPs with long runs, though, with short runs, there is little difference. If you’re making a thousand copies of a single document, the copier will likely edge out the MFP when it comes to speed, however, for most functions the difference is negligible.
- Ease of Use – When they first were released, MFPs were difficult to use when switching between different modes. However, over the years, MFPs have become much more user-friendly. Modern MFPs are built with the user in mind, and most operate with the touch of a button.
- Widespread Adoption – With the variety of tasks an MFP can handle around the office, many businesses are choosing an MFP over a stand-alone copier. However, if you need to produce a large volume of documents on a regular basis, a copier might be better suited to your business. Today, as we move toward greener initiatives like digital documentation, and minimizing paper use, the MFP is becoming the norm in many offices.
- Size – Like most technology, MFPs have shrunk in size as their use has grown. Some MFPs are small enough to fit on a desk and light enough to be easily moved. However, typically the more volume the machine can handle, the larger the device.
So, Copier… or Printer?
At the end of the day, its all about your intended use of the device. Making a thousand copies a week? A copier might be the right choice for your business. Need to do short runs and still have the ability to copy and fax? An MFP might just fit the bill.
Here at DSI we have relationships with many industry-leading manufacturers, ensuring our customers have an extensive choice of MFPs and copiers that will fit their unique needs.
Reach out to us today and let us help you choose the right device for your needs!
Your blog post content here
Jocelyn Gorman, the Executive Vice President of DSI, possesses a deep understanding of the unique requirements of growing businesses. With over a decade of experience collaborating with clients across various industries, she closely collaborates with her Sales Team to develop and implement tailored technology solutions. These solutions aim to enhance office productivity and minimize operational costs. Her remarkable ability to effectively address business challenges has garnered recognition from prestigious publications such as the Cannata Report and Family Business Magazine.